Friday, November 26, 2010

My First Bead Show

Last weekend I attended my first Bead Show :  Intergalactic Bead and Jewelry Show in Charlotte, NC.  It was nothing short of spectacular!  It was somewhat overwhelming deciding what to buy and what to leave behind.

I usually buy my beads online where I can shop around comparing prices and quality.  But I have to say, being able to see and touch the beads before buying was a dimension I really appreciated.

Here is a photo of my stash when I first came home before organizing and pricing each bead - I always calculate the price of each bead or component and label it so that when I design a piece of jewelry I can calculate my cost and then an appropriate sale price.
My Gemstone Stash of Treasure (before sorting)
I felt a bit like I was sorting through a treasure chest counting beads on each strand and sorting them out - and I enjoyed every minute of it!  Examining each bead and enjoying the fine job nature does when creating gemstones was an absolute pleasure.

I absolutely fell in love with fire agates through this show.  They are an incredibly beautiful gemstone with all kinds of variations.  Here is a photo of a necklace I designed this week using a blazing red fire agate for the pendant and smaller fire agate rondelles for accent:
Red Hot Fire Agate Pendant Necklace
Close-up View of Fire Agate Pendant
Of course I have so many stones still awaiting their place in a jewelry design.  Can't wait to help them find their new home!

You can find all my jewelry designs at:
DJAjewels.etsy.com
and
DJAjewels.artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment