Lately I have begun experimenting with making ribbon bookmarks. They make such great gifts for almost any occasion, and the possibilities are endless for design ideas. Anyway, I thought I would share a tutorial on how to make your own ribbon bookmark.
- Ribbon - I used 5/8 inch wide velvet
- Two ribbon crimp ends - size to match ribbon (13mm size for the 5/8 inch ribbon)
- Charms and beads to use as dangles
*You can use any width of ribbon - just make sure to choose a ribbon crimp size that will fit.
- Chain nose or flat nose pliers
- Cut your ribbon to the desired length. I wanted a 12 inch bookmark, so I cut the ribbon a little over 12 inches to leave enough room for folding the ends over.
|Cut the ribbon to desired length|
- Fold one end of the ribbon over about 1/4 inch. Then place the ribbon crimp over the folded edge.
|Fold edge of ribbon over about 1/4 inch|
|Place ribbon crimp over folded edge of ribbon|
- Pinch the ribbon crimp closed using your flat or chain nose pliers, making sure to keep the ribbon edge well inside the crimp.
|Pinch the crimp closed over the ribbon end|
|Finished ribbon end with crimp|
- Add your charms or beaded dangles using jump rings and chain or flat nose pliers. Use two pairs of pliers to open your jump ring, then slide it through the charm and the loop on the ribbon crimp. Close the jump ring again using your chain nose pliers to gently squeeze the ring closed. Click here for more details on how to close a jump ring.
|Attach a charm to the loop on the crimp|
|One end of the ribbon is now finished|
- Now finish the other end of your ribbon. You can either fold the edges over and stitch it like a hem or you can add another ribbon crimp and attach beads or charms. For my ribbon I used another crimp and attached wire-wrapped beaded dangles that I made using beads and headpins. If you do not know how to make a wire-wrapped beaded dangle, click here for instructions.
|Close-up view of both finished ends|