Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Before and After: Evolution of a Necklace



I can't count how many times I have finished a design and just not been quite satisfied with it.  Too many to count for sure! And so it was with a necklace I recently found from the past.

It wasn't a totally bad necklace, just a little plain - so I had put it aside for a little while - well a little while turned into about a year and a half - and the necklace was quietly forgotten about.

Then one day recently while sorting through my inventory for tax purposes (UGGH - I dread taxes) I came across the necklace. And I decided to rework the design.  If nothing else it was a great excuse to put off working on my taxes!

The original necklace was beaded using freshwater nugget pearls, small Swarovski crystals, and a clear glass teardrop that I wire-wrapped for the pendant.  

Original Design

To rework the necklace, I first did away with the glass teardrop and replaced it with a more elegant plump faceted Swarovski crystal teardrop.  I fashioned the crystal into a pendant using a large silver jump ring and a small textured round link for hanging it onto the chain.
Finally, I added some tiny freshwater pearl dangles to add movement and visual interest.  Here is the finished product: 




Finished Re-designed Necklace

Close-up View 

I am tons happier with the design!  It's always gratifying when a design turns out well - even if it took a while!

To see this Freshwater Pearl and Crystal Necklace and more of my designs, visit me at DJAjewels.etsy.com!



No comments:

Post a Comment