Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Fire Opal Statement Necklace


This week I completed a custom design for a client.  The client is actually one of my co-workers who was looking for a unique bold statement design to give as a birthday gift to her sister.  I showed her some previous designs of mine in which I had used glass fire opals and she felt sure her sister would love these.  She wanted a design that would stand out and make a statement - nothing small and dainty would do.

So I put together this design using a total of five glass opals.  Also called Dragon's Breath, these fire opals are a fiery red with electric flashes of blues within them.  I personally think they are one of the most beautiful man-made stones ever!

I created the unique settings for each stone by layering a combination of antique silver filigree stampings together.  Then I connected them together with a combination of bright silver and antique silver textured jump rings.  The teardrop pendant is actually an antique silver filigree bead cage in which I placed two small Siam red Swarovski crystals that peak through the openings of the filigree - just enough to add a bit of shimmer.

The chain around the back of the neck is a medium weight antique silver curb style chain that has a beautiful sheen and lies flat against the skin.  It is choker length measuring 16 inches plus a 2 1/2 inch extender chain.






The finished design turned out quite nice.  It has both an exotic and vintage look to it and I hope the recipient will be as pleased as I am.

If you would like your own custom jewelry design, contact me and I will work with you to create the perfect piece!

Or if you are interested in making your own design, I purchased these magnificent fire opals as well as most of the metal components from VintageJewelrySupplies.com.

Thanks so much for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment