Sunday, September 25, 2011

How to Antique Jewelry With Gilder's Paste

I have just begun experimenting with Gilder's Paste.  What an incredible material for antiquing and enhancing jewelry!  Gilder's Paste is a wax based medium that can be applied to jewelry and other crafts to create unique colors and patinas.  I bought mine from VintageJewelrySupplies.com in several colors:  Antique Gold, German Silver, Verdigris, and Pinotage.

I am still experimenting with it but have started on a few pieces.  The first is a pendant I created using an antiqued silver stamping and a rose station carved from white bamboo coral. The silver stamping is from VintageJewelrySupplies.com, and the carved rose is from FireMountainGems.com.

Antique Silver Setting
(VintageJewelrySupplies.com)

Carved Rose Station
(FireMountainGems.com)
I used E-6000 glue to bond these two components together and let dry for 24 hours.  E-6000 glue can be purchased at any craft store.

The result was rather plain, so I decided to embellish these pieces with some Gilder's Paste.  I applied a combination of Pinotage and Antique Gold colors to create a rosy, golden highlighted patina.

To apply Gilder's Paste, use a soft cloth (I like to use an old cotton T-shirt because it is lint free.)  Rub the paste onto the surface and let dry about 10 minutes.  Then rub again to remove excess and lightly sand - I used a manicure buffing block with medium to fine sanding surfaces.  Next, polish with a polishing cloth or use what I did - an unused pad from a cosmetic powder compact.

Finally seal the paste with a glaze such as Diamond Glaze - I substituted a glass and craft glaze from SunAndMoonCraftKits on Etsy - it is less expensive than Diamond Glaze and works just as well!  Let dry for 24 hours before handling.

Here is the finished pendant:

Finished Rose Pendant
I will post pics of my finished necklace design soon, so be sure to check back to see the finished piece!








No comments:

Post a Comment